Module 2 Experiences
Unit 2 They have seen the Pyramids.
Key vocabulary—move, send, Germany, France, tower, ancient, king, queen,
Arabic, way, mix, miss, count
Key structures—count down, so far, in many ways,
have been to, find it hard to do sth.
To get information about the Pyramids.
To master the present perfect tense.
To know more about other person’s experiences and understand each other better.
1. To learn some expressions in the passage.
2. To learn the present perfect tense.
1. To get information from the article.
2. To write a composition by using the present perfect tense.
PWP method, task-based method
A tape recorder, multimedia and some pictures
Step 1 Brain Storm
Answer the questions according to the pictures, and let Ss know about experiences.
Step 2 Consolidate new words
Look and say. The teacher shows the pictures of new words and let the students to say as quickly as possible.
Step 3 Pre-reading
1. Ss ask and answer the questions in pairs.
1).Which interesting places in China have you visited?
2).Have you ever seen the Great Wall?
3).Have you ever visited another country?
2. Look and say what you can see in the picture. Let Ss know the Pyramids and the city Cairo.
Step 4 Listening
Look at four sentences, then listen to the tape and check the true sentences.
Step 5 Reading
Read the passage and answer the six questions.(six students in a group)
1. How long have the Robinsons been in Egypt?
2. Why do they live in Cairo?
3. What have they seen and done in Egypt?
4. What do Mike and Clare find difficult about Arabic?
5. Who do they miss in the US?
6. Are they looking forward to going home?
Answers: 1. Two years.
2. Because Peter’s company sent him to work and his family went with him.
3. They have seen the Pyramids, travelled on a boat on the Nile River, and visited the palaces and towers of ancient king and queens.
4. This language is different from English in many ways, and they find it hard to spell and pronounce the words.
5. They miss their friends in the US.
6. Yes, they are counting down the days.
Step 6 Learning to learn
Let Ss master the methods of learning English.
Step 7 Language points
1. …, and it has sent Peter to work in Germany, France and China before.
send sb. to do sth. 表示“派遣某人去做某事”。
e.g. China send many people to work in Africa every year.
send sb. sth. 或send sth. to sb.，意思是“送给某人某物”。
e.g. Jim sent me a book on my twelfth birthday.
e.g. Mary usually sends letters in the morning.
2. They have been to many interesting places.
have been to +地点，表示“已经去过某地” 现在已经回来 。
e.g. Laura has never been to China before.
have gone to +地点，表示“已经去了某地”现在还没有回来，此时可能在途中或已经到了目的地。
e.g. —Hello. Can I speak to John, please?
—Sorry, he’s not in. He has gone to the park.
3. This language is different from English in many ways.
be different from, 表示“与…不同”。
in many ways, 表示“在许多方面”。
e.g. We can consider the problem in many ways.
Life in future will be different from life today.
4. They find it hard to spell and pronounce the words.
find it hard to do sth. “发现做某事是难的”
e.g. I find it hard to go up that high mountain.
5. So far they have learnt to speak German, French, Chinese and Arabic.
so far “到目前为止”，是现在完成时的标志。
e.g. Mike has read five famous books so far.
6. They have friends all over the world, but they also miss their friends in the US. 他们在世界各地都有朋友，但是他们也想念他们在美国的朋友。
miss v. “思念”。
e.g. Dave misses his grandparents very much.
miss v. “错过；没做到”，其后接动词时，应用动词-ing形式。
e.g. Mona was sad because she missed her train.
7. They are counting down the days.
count down, 表示“倒数，倒计时”。
e.g. They are counting down, “ten, nine, eight, seven…”.
e.g. Can you count from one to ten in French?
He put all the money in his bag without counting it.
Step 8 Complete the passage with the correct form of the words in the box
Mike and Clare live in Cairo in Egypt because their father works there. They have visited many places in Egypt. For (1) ________, they have seen the Pyramids, and they have visited the (2) _______ palaces of the (3) ______ and (4) _______ of Egypt. Mike and Clare have learnt a little Arabic, and when they speak it, they often (5) ______ it with German, French and Chinese. Recently, their father’s company has asked him to go back to the US. Mike and Clare are (6) _________ down the days.
Step 9 Writing
1. Work in pairs. Think of a special trip. Write notes and explain.
Where you went
When you went there
Why it was special
2. Write sentences to describe what you have seen or done. Use the passage in Activity 2 to help you.
Step 10 Grammar
Step 11 Summary
Let Ss talk about what they have learnt in class.
Step 12 Homework
Write a passage about your special trip, using the information of writing part.
Unit 2 They have seen the Pyramids.
send sb. sth. 或send sth. to sb. \ send sb. to do sth.
have been to +地点 \ have gone to +地点
be different from in many ways so far count down
They find it hard to spell and pronounce the words.